The presence of the Sisters of Charity in Laos dates back to 1934.
On the 14th January Janvier 1934, while in Rome, his Holiness Pope Pius XI proclaimed the canonisation of our Foundress Jeanne-Antide Thouret, 4 sisters of Charity of the Province of Savoie arrived in Thakhek, a small city, the capital of the province of province of Khammouane.
Father Victor Barbier, who is in charge of the christianity of Thakhek composed especially of Vietnamese hailing from Vinh where he acted as parish priest, asked the European female congregations to go to work in Laos. After 26 negative answers, he strongly rejoiced on receiving a positive answer on behalf of our congregation : the Superior general, Mother Anne Lapierre, accepted his request.
The first 4 missionaries were Sr. Marie Céleste, Sr. Marie-Geneviève, Sr. Annonciade and Sr. Anastasie.
The goal was to help the priest with his charitable activities : teaching and education of young people and the creation of child-care centres for the orphans and for abandoned children. The first elementary schools, orphanages and child-care centres opened rapidly in the big urban centres.
In 1975, with the political changes, the sisters were obliged to abandon these activities to return towards the apostolate in the scattered christian villages to share the simple countryside life of the people.
The sisters are gathered in 14 communities present in sectors around 5 urban centres: Luang Phrabang, Vientiane, Thakhek, Savannakhet and Pakse.
They carry out pastoral work with the children, young people and the care of sick people.
4 hostels assemble the young women in difficulty to enable them to study.
A centre for the deaf and dumb in Luang Phrabang, a kindergarten school in Vientiane and in Savannakhet.